Acne is a common cause of worry especially among teens. Commonly known as pimples and is a common condition which occurs when the hair follicles clog up. According to American academy of dermatology 40-50 million peoples suffer from acne. it commonly affects face, neck chest and back.
Green tea: Green tea is one of the cost effective treatment for acne. Article published in journal of drug in dermatology in 2009 documented, antimicrobial and antioxidant property of green tea is effective in the treatment of the mild to moderate acne.
How to use:
- As a face wash: boil green tea and let it cool. After the water cools down wash your face with it.
- Topical application: soak green tea bag for some time and apply it on the affected area.
Holy basil or basil: research shows the powerful antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties of basil is very beneficial in treating ACNE (2)
How to use:
- Boil some basil leave,cool down and use it to wash your face
- Essential oil toner: basil essential oil is available in stores easily, dilute basil oil with water and keep it in a bottle. Take a cotton balls and use it as a toner to prevent the breakout.
- Facemask: mix basil powder with equal amount of turmeric and gram flour and water, mix it well to a thick paste. Apply the mix to the face and neck leave it on for 15 min and wash off with cold water.
Tea tree oil: tea tree oil has antibacterial properties and helps fight against the harmful pimple causing bacteria, study published in Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol in 2007 documented that the Topical application tea tree oil is an effective treatment for mild to moderate acne vulgaris
- Use it as a toner: dilute couple of drops of tea tree oil with a water and use a cotton balls dab and apply directly on the skin leave it on for 15-20 min and wash it off with cold water. You a can do this twice a day. You don’t want to overdo it as it makes the skin dry.
Baking soda: baking soda is one of the inexpensive solution for acne sufferer it has an inflammatory property that is helpful in acne
How to use:
Mix baking soda and lime juice and apply on the face leave it on 15 min wash off after 15 min with cold water and pat dry.
Mint: mint has been used widely for its medicinal properties mint leaves are rich in menthol which provides soothing effect on the skin and is found against acne treatment.
Lemon: lemon is rich in vitamin C and citric acid. It is a natural exfoliant and help dead cells and clears the pores and thus helps fight ace
- Face mask: mix lemon juice, turmeric and gram flour till it forms a smooth paste apply it on the face leave it on for 15 min and wash it off with cold water.
- Facial scrub: mix sugar and lemon and gently massage on a circular motion to get rid of the dead skins and open up the pores.
Aloe-vera: aloe-vera possesses effective healing properties such as anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and is rich in antioxidants and vitamin E making it one off the effective treatment against acne.
How to use it:
Topical application: Aloe-vera gel is easily available in the stores you can apply it ( if you have aloe-vera plant at home you can apply pulp of aloe-vera) directly on the skin leave it on for 20 -30 min and wash it off cold water
Guggul: guggul is thought to have inflammatory and antibacterial properties which is beneficial to patient with acne Research suggests guggul reduces sebum secretion and helps to fight acne breakout.
It can be taken orally
Note: guggul activate unterine muscles, therefore pregnant women and lactating women should avoid
Turmeric: Research has shown that turmeric has potent antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties, which act as therapeutic against acne.
how to use
- Turmeric can be taken orally in the form of spices
- Pace pack: mix turmeric, gram flour lime juice and water to form a thick paste. Apply the pack on the face and neck and leave it on for 15 min. wash it off with cold water pat dry.